efore one starts a trip to the Amazon Rainforest, there are many questions that come to us, because of that, we present you some of the most important questions that travelers have asked us before they have started a trip to the Nicky Amazon Lodge, If you might have any other different question, please contact us and one of our representatives will help you.
You can visit the Ecuadorian Amazon Rainforest any time of the year, but we have 2 different times at the Cuyabeno Reserve: The first one is the dry time that goes from December to March and during this time the level of the water decreases. We can watch more Caimans than Dolphins. And we have the Rainy time that goes from April to July an during this time you watch more Dolphins than Caimans, but any way to visit the Rainforest anytime of the year.
Freddy our Chef prepares the best food at the Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve; the secret is to love to do what we do and to mix local products. Purified bottled water is provided all the time and Coffee and Tea is available during the day at the Nicky Amazon Lodge.
There is no restriction for the age, but we recommend that all children be 1 year old and up. For expeditions with children, we suggest private tours because it will be more comfortable and enjoyable.
You can either ask for a single room or for shared accommodation.
- ORIGINAL PASSPORT
- Dry fast clothing is recommended.
- Long-sleeved shirt or blouse and long pants for the hikes into the rainforest.
- T-shirts & shorts.
- 4 pairs of socks.
- Rain poncho.
- Sandals or sneakers.
- Light wind-breaker and sweater or fleece (for the early morning and night activities.)
- Bathing suit and personal towel for swimming.
- Sun cap or hat and sun block.
- Sunglasses with a strap.
- One small day pack (waterproof.)
- Insect repellent.
- Headlamp or flashlight.
- Personal water bottle or canteen.
- Personal first aid kit (personal travel medicines.)
- Binoculars (10×42 are better.)
- Plastic bags (zip lock bags are the best to protect money, cameras, phones, binoculars, medicines and documents.)
- Wet wipes.
- Books to read.
- Round-trip transportation to Cuyabeno bridge (motor canoe.)
- Ministry of Tourism Licensed bilingual naturalist guides trained in biology and Eco-Tourism Accommodation at the Lodge with private bathroom
Single accommodation is provided with a charge of 75% extra.
- High quality camping equipment, tents & bedding for long excursions.
- Personal equipment: rubber boots and lifejackets.
- Three daily nutritious meals, including purified bottled water, soft drinks such us tea, coffee & hot chocolate available all day, snacks are available before all activities.
- Catering for vegetarians, vegans and for passengers with dietary restrictions.
- Don’t forget to bring your personal rain poncho.
- Round-trip transportation between Quito and the Cuyabeno bridge.
- Additional beverages.
- Extra meals before and after the trip.
- US $5 Dollars to be paid to the siona family visited.
- Early activities to watch for birds and to enjoy the landscape at 06h30a.m.
- Observe the Amazon’s Pink and gray dolphins.
- Hike into the rainforest and learn about the medicinal and practical uses of the plants.
- Botany observation.
- Night walks to observe insects, spiders, snakes, amphibians and to listen to nocturnal animals.
- Navigation in search of Caiman (Alligators).
- Paddling by dugout canoe.
- Visiting a Siona family and learning about their culture.
- Time to relax and enjoy the natural surroundings.
- Captivating lectures given by our Naturalist Bilingual Guides.
We have electricity provided by solar panels and by a generator which is on from 15h30 to 16h30p.m and from 18h00p.m to 22h00p.m.
Breakfast is between 08:00 and 08h30a.m; it all depends on the activities. After breakfast you will have free time until 10h00a.m., then you go to the activity and back for lunch at 13h30p.m and you will have time to rest until 16h30p.m. To start with your afternoon activities and then you will come back to the lodge at 18h00p.m. You will have free time until 19h00 when you will be taken for a night walk from 19h00 until 19h50p.m and after that you’ll have dinner and then the plan for the next day. All the activities and excursions will be accompanied by your bilingual naturalist guide.
We recommend USD 10 dollars per day per person for the guide and the canoe drivers, for them please give them personally and for the rest of the staff there is a box next to the Cafeteria where you can deposit it.
During high season (June-July-August-September) we recommend to make the booking in advance, for the rest of the year you can book any time, but spaces depend on availability.
If you decide to go for 4 days or 5 days, there is no problem you can tell your guide that you want to stay an extra day or even more days; you can easily pay $70 per every extra day. It all depends on availability, but generally it is possible.
Mosquito repellent is needed. When you are on the bus/pick up, canoe, and at the lodge is not necessary. Please bring long sleeved shirts and long pants so that you will not use much mosquito repellent. You will need mosquito repellent at the local family visit, because there are sandflies.
Precaution against yellow fever is recommended especially for the adventurous and long tours. Before departure, ask your doctor to get the most up to date health information.
At Nicky Amazon Lodge, we have internet connection for operational reasons, but our clients can use it in case of any important need. You can please ask to the administrator.
Before coming to Ecuador, please get travel insurance.
When travelling around Ecuador, please take your original passport.
To travel in Ecuador is very easy, but please when you travel by public transportation in Ecuador: on longer trips by public bus: Don’t leave anything inside the bus if you get off for toilet or for stretching legs, if you fall sleep, please don’t leave you luggage and cameras at the sides, keep them with you in front or hugging them.